Monday, May 16, 2011

MacDonald sets new female course record


Kelly MacDonald approaches the finish line en route to  establishing a new female course record in the Clark’s Toyota Five-Mile  Run in Linkletter on Saturday morning. Jason Simmonds/Journal Pioneer

Kelly MacDonald approaches the finish line en route to establishing a new female course record in the Clark’s Toyota Five-Mile Run in Linkletter on Saturday morning.

Published on May 15, 2011
Jason Simmonds

LINKLETTER – Kelly MacDonald’s record-setting performance in the Clark’s Toyota Five-Mile Run in Linkletter on Saturday morning almost didn’t happen.

The 22-year-old from Montague arrived just in time to register before the start of the race, and then proceeded to establish a new female course record in convincing fashion. MacDonald’s time of 31 minutes seven seconds (31:07) was seven seconds faster than the previous standard of 31:48, which was set by Roya MacDonald in 2008.

“I looked online at the race and I just saw that it was Clark’s Toyota, so we assumed that’s where the start was,” explained MacDonald, who is an education student at St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, N.S. “I guess my dad (Paul) and I should have looked into it more as we were going around Summerside asking everyone we could on the street how to get here.

“We got here just in time. I think we pulled in close to 25 minutes after nine.”

“I looked online at the race and I just saw that it was Clark’s Toyota, so we assumed that’s where the start was. I guess my dad (Paul) and I should have looked into it more as we were going around Summerside asking everyone we could on the street how to get here. We got here just in time. I think we pulled in close to 25 minutes after nine.” - Kelly MacDonald

The race began at 9:30 a.m., at organizer Scott Clark’s home in Linkletter.

“It (run) felt really good,” said MacDonald, who finished seventh overall. “I liked that the course is nice and flat.”

Jennifer Pizio-Perry (33:20) and Allison Trenholm (33:47) were the second and third females to cross the finish line, 13th and 14th overall, behind MacDonald, who led the female field throughout the race.

MacDonald also competes in cross-country and track and field at St. F.X. She does 5K in cross-country and runs the 1,500 and 3,000 metres in track and field.

Overall, 78 runners took part in the race. All proceeds will be donated to the P.E.I. Children’s Wish Foundation.

jpsports@journalpioner.com

No comments: