Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cool winter running gear and cold winter photos

Alex has new YakTrax, having worn through his 2nd pair at the Freeze Your Gizzard on Sunday.

We're finding they last a little more than one season and that includes running on winter pavement as well as winter snow and ice covered roads. He really likes the sure footing they give him. We get the "Walker" model, not the "Pro" version. The only difference (aside from the $10. in price) is a strap that goes across the top of your shoe, I assume to make sure they don't come off. However, they fit on so well that "falling off" has never been, and I can't imagine would ever be, an issue and the strap would be more of a hassle than anything (for Alex anyway). Proude's Shoes carries the "Walker" model for $29.95 and the "Pro" for $39.95. RoadRunner Members get a 15% discount at Proude's so if you head in for some, don't forget to flash your membership card.

In the "they thought of everything" department.... Sunday morning I asked Alex if he wanted to wear his Garmin or just his watch. He said "watch" and put his right hand on his left wrist where his watch was. Because of the "ninja cuffs" on his new jacket I suggested I could put his watch on the outside oh his sleeve. He moved his hand to show me that Salomon had thought of that and had put a little zipper in his sleeve, right over his watch.

How cool is that?! Of course it's only on the left arm for right handed watch wearers but that works for Alex (even if it wouldn't work for me).

And, while I'm here, while I haven't taken many pictures of RoadRunners the past couple of months my camera has not been quiet. I've been really enjoying the winter light, having fun (and frustration) trying to capture the magical sparkle of the ice and snow, and generally enjoying the transformation of the world around me...







and rather than Roadrunners I've been catching Chickadees, Juncos, Doves, Blue Jays etc in action...


2 comments:

BM said...

Beautiful winter pictures

#32 said...

I'm so impressed that Alex actually gets out there and runs in weather that requires such gear!