Monday, October 19, 2009

Islanders and Others on the Run Elsewhere Sunday


First off, our buddy from the Mainland, Sylvio Bourque, a regular at the PEI Marathon (along with other PEI RoadRunner races and the annual PEI RoadRunner Banquet) opted instead to do the Baystate Marathon in Lowell, Massachusetts on Sunday. As Sylvio tells it -
"Here in Lowell , Massachusetts , the rain was a serious issue & the strong enough wind was in our face most of the race. I still managed to run a PB.
Somehow , they lost me in the results .
My watch stopped at 3:22:40 . My chip time had to be a bit better than that.
The timer said he found me at 3:22:41.
The PEI Marathon is better organized than this one. I won't come back to Lowell."

Congrats on the PB Sylvio! Hope we see you again soon....

At the KV Challenge Marathon in New Brunswick:
21(Place) Kimberley Bailey - F - 1/1 - F4049 - 2:02:00(Half Split) 4:22:16(Time) 6:15(Pace)

27 Runners

Chris Brake, one of Alex's inspirations, a runner on the Autism Spectrum, won the race, smashing the course record:

"ROTHESAY - Chris Brake captured his second marathon of the season and demolished the course record for the Coast Tire Kennebecasis Valley Challenge Marathon when he ripped through the winding roads in two hours, 32 minutes and 28 seconds Sunday.

Brake bested the previous record of 2:37:43, which he set in 2005, by more than five minutes and crossed the finish line 15 minutes and 20 seconds ahead of runner-up Alex Coffin.

When I saw my time, it was the greatest feeling that I've ever had in my life," the 27-year old Saint John runner said.

[...]

Maggie Johnson of Quispamsis captured the full-marathon women's title in a time of 3:17:47.

It was her fourth career title and a personal best time as the 33-year-old was greeted at the finish line with cheers and applause.

"I just wanted to get 3:20, so 3:17 is fabulous. I'm so excited," Johnson said.

The effort qualified her for the New York Marathon, which she now plans to attend next fall.

Johnson said it was the perfect day for the event, with overcast skies and a cool breeze rendering the hilly third-quarter section of the course easier to manage.

The nearest female competitor, Kimberley Bailey of Cornwall, P.E.I., finished more than an hour behind Johnson....."

Full Story: http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/sports/article/828353

Congratulations Kim (and Chris)!

Marathon Results ~ Half-Marathon Results ~ 2 Member Team ~ 4 Member Team

Asia Renning had a good day at the Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Marathon

Asia finished in 3:55:41, which was a 1 min. 28sec. PR for her. She was 56 out of 1141 in her age group, 272 female out of 6880, and 1307 out of 12793 over all. There were over 15,000 runners in all, including the half. (Asia's favorite part is the all-you-can eat Chinese buffet after :>)

Congrats on the PR Asia!!

1 comment:

RAM said...

It is very interesting article here. I look forward to reading these blogs, they always intrigue and interest me. Thanks for keeping us informed. I enjoyed here. I will visit this site in future as it is very informative site here.