Tuesday, October 30, 2007

No Swiss miss for P.E.I. modern pentathlete - Kara Grant captures the Swiss Open competition


http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=75628&sc=99
30/10/07
No Swiss miss for P.E.I. modern pentathlete
Kara Grant captures the Swiss Open competition

The Guardian

A last-minute decision to attend a weekend meet in Switzerland has paid off for Kara Grant.

The Stratford native had her best five-event competition of the year to win the Swiss Open modern pentathlon competition in Frauenfeld.

“I shot 183, fenced 1.080 (17 victories, five defeats), swam 2:41, which is amazing considering the amount of time off I had and the minimal intensity and volume in the pool since starting back,” said Grant in an e-mail to The Guardian.

“I rode clear with only a few time penalties and ran 11:01 on a grass course with turns and slightly uneven footing.”

Grant said the run was amazing at this time of the year.

“We actually did a pack start in the run and I knew I had to beat one girl by 15 seconds in order to win the competition.”

The Islander ran with her closest competitor for the first two kilometres before her opponent pulled away about 10 metres.

“Then at the two-kilometre mark I decided it was all or nothing despite being quite tired, and I dropped the hammer and passed her,” said Grant.

“I tried not to look back when my body starting to scream for oxygen with 500m left, 300m of this being slightly uphill. It was a pure guts run by the last 200m and although I finished ahead we didn’t know until the points were tallied if it had been enough.”

Grant would win the event by 12 points.

No comments: