Monday, May 31, 2010

The Cabot Trail Relay Race 2010

The Cabot Trail Relay at Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

It was cloud and 3 degrees on leg 15.
The leg at Margaree Forks started at 5:36 and ended at Lakes Cafe near Finlayson. I finished in 1:13:33 and came in 18th out of 69 runners.

Team PEI finishes 36th out of 69 teams in 24:20:21 with a late runner at leg 7 and no penalties.

Dennis Fairalls Grey Hair an alumni of University Of Windsor won the relay and Red Island Road Hogs came in 3rd overall. The Maine Road Hags was top female team 7th overall.

I have a good time and so did my parents who came too.

Kim Bailey was my team captain run two legs and Doug MacEachern run three legs. Also on Team PEI was Sara Deveau, Joanne Mclaughlin, Karen Creighton, Gary Simmonds, Ron Profit, Johanna Profit, Rebecca Pike, George Mutch, Dustin Gavin, Kent Mills and Maria Profit.

Congratulations and thanks to Team PEI, all teams, race organizers and volunteers. It was a great weekend.

This Saturday I run at Cornwall Classic.


You can see photos by Online Images here:


Team PEI Results

  • Leg #1 - 45(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Sara Deveau - 1:32:36
  • Leg #2 - 47(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Joanne McLaughlin - 1:38:27
  • Leg #3 - 47(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Karen Creighan - 1:20:50
  • Leg #4 - 48(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Kimberley Bailey - 1:47:01
  • Leg #5 - 29(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Doug MacEachern - 1:31:59
  • Leg #6 - 7(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Gary Simmons - 1:14:32
  • Leg #7 - 60(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Ron Profit - 1:29:24 LATE
  • Leg #8 - 39(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Johanna Profit - 1:07:54
  • Leg #9 - 31(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Rebecca Pike - 1:27:02
  • Leg #10 - 50(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Doug MacEachern - 1:28:13
  • Leg #11 - 33(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 George Mutch - 1:10:39
  • Leg #12 - 6(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Dustin Gavin - 1:05:25
  • Leg #13 - 37(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Kent Mill - 1:29:55
  • Leg #14 - 39(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Maria Profit - 1:44:11
  • Leg #15 - 18(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Alex Bain - 1:13:33
  • Leg #16 - 36(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Doug MacEachern - 1:18:15
  • Leg #17 - 61(Place) TEAM PEI - 6 Kimberley Bailey - 1:40:25
  • Cabot Trail Relay Total time: 24:20:21

Team PEI's Captain Kim Bailey at the "Glory Leg" #17 Finish Line

Last updated at 12:43 AM on 28/05/10
Road-ready Hogs
P.E.I. runners to compete in challenging Cabot Trail Relay

Co-captain Chris Matters, left, Paul Baglole and Sandy  Stewart, members of the Red Island Road Hogs, run to prepare for the  Cabot Trail Relay on Saturday and Sunday in Cape Breton. The relay,  started in 1988, is 298 kilometres long and is broken up into 17 legs.  (Submitted photo)

Co-captain Chris Matters, left, Paul Baglole and Sandy Stewart, members of the Red Island Road Hogs, run to prepare for the Cabot Trail Relay on Saturday and Sunday in Cape Breton. The relay, started in 1988, is 298 kilometres long and is broken up into 17 legs. (Submitted photo)

The Guardian

There’s a certain advantage to running an early leg in the 2010 Cabot Trail Relay Saturday and Sunday in Beddeck, N.S.
The 17-leg, 298-kilometre relay starts Saturday at 7 a.m. It ends Sunday around 9:45 a.m.
“(At least) I’ll be able to see where I’m going,” said Paul Baglole, who’s running the second leg.
The league covers almost 18 kilometres over the rugged Cape Breton landscape.
Baglole is one of 16 members of the Red Island Road Hogs.
Chris Matters, co-captain, and runner Francis Fagan dreamed up the squad to compete, and win, the race.
Matters recruited Rob MacKenzie, who finished sixth at last year’s P.E.I. Marathon, and Stanley Chaisson, the current Marathon champion, for the group.
Both dropped out because of injury, but MacKenzie stayed on as co-captain.
“The group of runners we have right now have been training hard all spring and are really pumped about this race,” said Matters.
The Road Hogs are one of three Island squads — Team P.E.I. and Terminal Velocity are the others — registered to face runners from across Canada and the United States.
The 22-year-old event started in six teams in 1988 and now draws about 60 teams and 1,000 runners each year.
The Dennis Fairfalls Grey Hair, a group of University of Windsor alumni, are the defending champions with a time of 16:59:48.
Overnight runners can use headlamps (with the approval of the RCMP), reflective vests and light sticks.
Legs are 12 to 20 kilometres long and vary in difficulty from steep mountains in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park to the rolling Margaree Valley.
Baglole’s section is rated as medium difficulty (3.5 out of 5).
He’s been running for about 15 years, but it’s his first Cape Breton Relay.
He finished third at the Clarke’s Toyota five-mile run in Summerside and 11th at the Bunny Hop 10-kiloemtre event last month in Charlottetown.
“Oh yeah, I always get nervous (before a race). It’s going to be exciting and I expect to be fine,” said Baglole. “It’s a unique event. Most (of us) have been training just for this.”
The Dennis Fairfalls Grey Hair, a group of University of Windsor alumni, is the defending champion with a time of 16:59:48.
“There are some really fast runners from Maine and Ontario that compete, but we stand a good chance of being right up there in the top two or three,” said MacKenzie.
Follow the Red Island Road Hogs on its facebook page.
The Red Island Road Hogs:
Paul Baglole, Steven Baglole, John Bil, Scott Clark, David Gallant, Tony Landry, Billy MacDonald, Mike MacKinnon, David MacMillan, Chris Matters, Shawn McCardle, Connor McGuire, Keaghan Rilling, Tyler Sellar, Kris Taylor and Sandy Stewart.

Road Hogs tame trail
Island team finishes third overall in gruelling Cape Breton relay race

Kris Taylor, left, of the Red Island Road Hogs is  shown running in his leg during the Cabot Trail Relay in Nova Scotia  last weekend. Taylor placed third in his leg. (Submitted photo)

Kris Taylor, left, of the Red Island Road Hogs is shown running in his leg during the Cabot Trail Relay in Nova Scotia last weekend. Taylor placed third in his leg. (Submitted photo)

The Guardian

The Red Island Road Hogs had lofty goals for the Cabot Trail Relay last weekend in Cape Breton and the 16-member running team didn’t disappoint.

The Road Hogs finished third overall in the 17-leg, 276-kilometre event with a time of 18 hours 10 minutes and six seconds.
Seventy teams and 1,100 runners entered the annual event in Baddeck, N.S., and the Road Hogs became the highest placing Island squad in its 22-year history.
Of the other Island entries, Team P.E.I. placed 36th and Terminal Velocity finished 49th with times of 24:20:21 and 25:10:49, respectively.
The top Road Hog runner was Summerside native Connor McGuire, who won Leg 12 in a time of 54:29.
Team P.E.I.’s Dustin Gavin finished sixth in Leg 12 with a time of 1:05:25 while teammate Gary Simmons finished seventh in Leg 6 (1:14:32).
Terminal Velocity’s Jeff Boswell placed eighth in Leg 6 (1:14:41).
Dennis Fairall’s Grey Hair Runners of Windsor, Ont,, repeated as champions with a new course record of 16:16:45 while Maine’s Mainiacs finished second in a time of 16:47:01.
“The competition was amazing this year and our team of Island runners was competitive on all legs,” said Rob MacKenzie, Road Hogs’ co-captain. “All of the runners finished in the top 10 of their legs, with eight legs having a top-three finish and an outright win by McGuire.
“In fact, Connor just missed the course record and ran his leg so fast that they weren’t quite ready for him at the finish line.”
Legs are 12 to 20 kilometres long and vary in difficulty, from steep mountains in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park to the rolling Margaree Valley.
Other top-10 leg finishers on the Road Hogs were Kris Taylor (Leg 1, third, 1:02:44), Paul Baglole (Leg 2, seventh, 1:11:53), Chris Matters (Leg 3, sixth, 54:34), Mike MacKinnon (Leg 4, second, 1:14:49), Scott Clark (Leg 5, second, 1:05:32), David Gallant (Leg 6, fourth, 1:10:34), Mike MacKinnon (Leg 7, third, 49:36), Sandy Stewart (Leg 8, third, 49:14), Keaghan Rilliny (Leg 9, 10th, 1:17:15), Billy MacDonald (Leg 10, third, 1:03:42), David MacMillan (Leg 11, fifth, 54:45), Tyler Sellar (Leg 13, third, 1:03:09), Shawn McCardle (Leg 14, seventh, 1:22:06), Tony Landry (Leg 15, fifth, 1:01:21), John Bil (Leg 16, ninth, 1:02:12) and Steven Baglole (Leg 17, fifth, 1:12:11).

Ontario entry defends Cabot Trail Relay title in record fashion

Greg MacVicar
Published on May 30th, 2010

BADDECK — The Dennis Fairalls Grey Hair successfully defended their win in last year’s Cabot Trail Relay by smashing the course record in this year’s version of the 276-kilometre road race, Sunday.

“They came here to break the record,” said race chairman Dave Parkinson. “They crushed the record. To beat it by 38 minutes . . . quite impressive.”

The winning time for the group of University of Windsor alumni was 16 hours, 16 minutes and 45 seconds. The previous course record was 16:54:16, set by the Aquafina Rocky Road Runners in 2004.

The race’s 276 kilometres is broken up into 17 stages. More than 1,000 participants from 70 teams ran around the clock, starting in St. Anns on Saturday morning and finishing in Baddeck on Sunday morning.

The Dennis Fairalls Grey Hair included Doug Vincent, Rich Tremaine, Alex MacLeod, Phil Dalton, Andrew Coates, Drew MacAulay, Trevor Pye, Rami Bardeesy, Josh Kramer, James Gosselin, Mark Kiteley and Svein Piene. Tremaine, Coates, MacAulay, Bardeesy and Gosselin ran two legs each.

The Maine-iacs of Maine were the runners-up for the second year in a row, though they also broke the previous record with a time of 16:47:01. The Maine-iacs won the Cabot Trail Relay in the four years previous to 2009.

The third-place team was the Red Island Road Hogs of Prince Edward Island in 18:10:06.

The top Cape Breton team — the Cape Breton Road Runners — placed fourth overall with a time of 18:53:58. The local team included Dean Abbass, Todd Crowdis, Devin Abbass, Lauchie McKinnon, James Forsey, Lee McCarron, Chris Milburn, Terry Morris, Ken MacKinnon, Donnie MacIntyre, Brent Addison, Eric Power, Jullian MacLean, Allan MacKenzie, Evan Bezanson and Jake Florian. McCarron ran two legs.

“The race went fantastically,” said Parkinson, adding, other than a stiff headwind for the first seven legs, the weather was ideal. “We were blessed once again with some phenomenal weather which just made it all the better. The teams seemed to thoroughly have a good time as they usually do and it was just as good as they’ve been in the past.”

(Click article to enlarge & read)
Wife, friends complete one-man relay
They ran some miles in his shoes after solo Cabot Trail runner fell ill on quest

" border="0">

Amy Gough ran the last leg of the Cabot Trail Relay for her husband Mark Campbell, who had to call off his attempt to run the entire 298-kilometre race himself when he fell ill after completing nearly 190 kilometres. Other members of his support team and a film crew documenting his odyssey also pitched in. Gough and Campbell are pictured in 2007.(File)

Mark Campbell had been running for 27 hours when he crested MacKenzie Mountain in Inverness County and felt a chill pass through his body.

It was 4 a.m. and Campbell began to feel sick in his guts. He tried to eat, but it didn’t help. Then he went to the washroom and saw blood.

He had run nearly 190 kilometres and tackled three mountains. But his body was telling him he had to stop.

A doctor told him the same thing at the hospital in Cheticamp 45 minutes later.

That was that. His bid to conquer the Cabot Trail ended. He had hoped to run the entire 298 kilometres, usually divided between 17 runners, during the annual relay race. And he had hoped to raise funds for a camp for chronically ill children.

Then, Campbell’s support team and the film crew following him stepped in.

Chris Allen, whose leg is supported by metal plates and seven pins, volunteered to keep running for Campbell. The rest of the team would as well.

Allen had never trained to run, said Campbell’s friend.

"He ran 42 kilometres (the equivalent of a marathon)," Todd McDonald said, choking up.

"As this went on, word spread throughout the Cabot Trail Relay that this was happening. All the participants would pull over and say ‘We want to run with you, we want to run for Mark.’ It would start as one runner trying to do 10 kilometres and it would grow to two, and four, and six. All these runners that had already done their (own) relay leg drove ahead to find us and join us, and run beside us."

Three years ago, Campbell ran the 298-kilometre relay through the Cape Breton Highlands with two other partners. Last year, he did it with one other person.

This year, he wanted to complete it on his own. He hoped to raise money for the Brigadoon Children’s Camp Society, as it works toward opening a camp in Aylesford, Kings County, for chronically ill children.

And mentally, Campbell could have finished the race, the filmmaker following him said. But the Dartmouth man’s body would not allow him.

"That’s hitting the wall and it’s painful and it hurts," Tarek Abouamin said.

"But it’s far, far from a failure. I think this story is even more enriched now because something wonderful happened. All of these individuals bonded together in a feat and refused to quit."

Campbell set off from the Gaelic College of Celtic Arts and Crafts in St. Anns, Victoria County, about 12 hours before the other runners taking part in the 23rd annual relay race began Saturday morning. Although his support team initially planned only to keep him hydrated and fed, they began running alongside him when a pack of coyotes started calling out to the moon.

Campbell conquered Smokey, North and MacKenzie mountains, and although he had to stop earlier than he would have liked, he still crossed the finish line in Baddeck.

His wife, Amy, took on the final leg of the relay. Together, they ran the last 500 metres.

"He was ordered to go to bed and get some rest," McDonald said of his friend.

"So he was driven ahead and they did the finish together. It was definitely one of the top few moments of my life to watch that. Mark was in tears, Amy was in tears."

Other runners who bridged the gap included a woman training for a five-kilometre run. She had never managed the distance before but finished it in the middle of the night for Campbell.

"By the end, we were running for Mark and for Brigadoon, but we were (really) running for each other," McDonald said.

"People were bleeding from their toenails and everywhere else, but we kept running for each other, so I think that’s what I will remember."

Campbell collected more than $6,000 for Brigadoon this weekend from other runners and those who heard about his run.

He said that he plans to come back and do the entire trail again. Although some suggested he should simply pick up where he left off, Campbell said that would not work out for him.

"It would be like stopping at the 15th hole and the coming back later to finish a round of golf. If there’s interest, I’ll come back again — and it’ll be from start to finish."


No comments: