Saturday, August 18, 2007

Kensington Harvest Festival 25K - a Personal Best

"Stanchel to Kensington, tough, hilly course through some of P.E.I.’s most scenic countryside"




























It was cloudy and raining and 14 degrees.

The hilly and countryside course along between Stanchel and Kensington.

The big hill climb after 1 mile mark of race, turn right in Kinkora after 10km mark of race.

Half way mark time of 1:07:56 and second half a little faster finish in 2:14:14 came in 41st out of 56 runners, my personal best by more than 10 minutes in 2005. My ribs are O.K

Stanley Chaisson shattered the course record by less than three minutes of Alex Coffin of Saint John in 1998 and Jen Nicholson of Cornwall for top female. Stan's time was 1:25:51.

Official Results: 41st out of 56
25K in 2:14:14
Harvest Fest Run 2006
Harvest Fest Run 2005
Harvest Fest Run 2004















(Finish line photos and photo below of Stan by Deborah Mutch)




Chaisson shatters record
At Harvest Festival 25-kilometre road race
18/08/07
JASON SIMMONDS
The Journal Pioneer


KENSINGTON -- Stanley Chaisson made his first Harvest Festival road race a memorable one here Saturday morning.

The 25-year-old Charlottetown resident shattered the 25-kilometre course record by two and a half minutes in the 34th annual event.

Chaisson’s record-setting time was one hour 25 minutes 51 seconds (1:25:51). Alex Coffin of Saint John, N.B., held the previous mark of 1:28:21.

"I met up with a group of runners last week in Summerside at the Source for Sports 10K, and a few of the older guys said, ‘You can’t really call yourself a runner until you do the 25K Harvest Festival,’" said Chaisson following the awards presentations inside Community Gardens. "I was up for the challenge and I’m a pretty competitive guy. I found out what the record was and my motivation today was to see if I could come close to it.

"It ended up being quicker and I felt really good."

Jen Nicholson of Cornwall was the top female runner, stopping the clock in 1:52:45. She was 12th overall.

Edna Vloet, 50, also entered the run’s history books as she became the first female ever to win the 50 and over category. Her time was 2:12:38, good enough for 37th overall.

The "killer course" is described as a "tough, hilly course through some of P.E.I.’s most scenic countryside" on the P.E.I. Roadrunners Club website. The race began in Stanchel and finished in front of the Gardens.

A total of 56 runners participated.

Be sure to check out Monday’s print edition of the Journal Pioneer for complete story, including in-depth interviews with Chaisson and Nicholson.
*******

http://www.journalpioneer.com/index.cfm?sid=55514&sc=119
20/08/07
A record-setting performance
Chaisson shatters 25-kilometre Harvest Festival road race standard

JASON SIMMONDS
The Journal Pioneer

Stanley Chaisson approaches the finish line
in his record-setting performance at the 34th
annual Harvest Festival 25-kilometre road race
Saturday morning. Chaisson’s time was
one hour 25 minutes 51 seconds (1:25:51).

KENSINGTON — The Community Harvest Festival road race has been dubbed the “killer course” for years, but Stanley Chaisson is the new “course killer.”

The Charlottetown resident and native of Bear River, near Souris, set a new course record for the gruelling 25-kilometre race Saturday morning. Chaisson, 25, stopped the clock in one hour 25 minutes 51 seconds (1:25:51), shaving two and a half minutes off Alex Coffin’s 1:28:21 record.

“I met up with a group of runners last week in Summerside at the Source for Sports 10K, and a few of the older guys said, ‘You can’t really call yourself a runner until you do the 25K Harvest Festival,’” said Chaisson, a personal trainer at UPEI.

“I was up for the challenge. I’m a pretty competitive guy, I found out what the record was and my motivation today (Saturday) was to see if I could come close to it.

“It ended up being quicker and I felt really good.”

Chaisson, who led the 56-runner field right from the start, finished just under 11 minutes ahead of the second-place finisher, Scott Clark (1:36:33). John Bil was third overall in 1:38:32.

“I’ve heard many horror stories about the course, so I took it slow in the beginning,” said Chaisson. “The first 5K was really tough with some tough hills. Then I felt pretty good at about 15K, and I felt as long as there are no more huge, huge inclines I’ll be OK.”

Jen Nicholson, 38, of Cornwall was the top female, finishing 12th overall in 1:52:45. Sarah MacKinnon (1:55:05), 15th overall, and Allie Keedwell (1:56:47), 17th overall, rounded out the top three female finishers.

“It was my first time doing this race,” said Nicholson. “It’s very challenging, fun and interesting.”

Edna Vloet, 50, also entered the race’s history books, becoming the first-ever female to win the 50 and over category. Her time was 2:12:38 — 37th overall.

Nicholson, who ran most of the race with Keedwell, was “very pleased” with her time.

A school teacher, Nicholson said she did not do any extra hill training in preparation for the race.

“I hadn’t really planned going in this one,” said Nicholson.

“We’re in Cornwall and there are lots of hills, and I usually train with hills anyway.”

Chaisson, who says he was very accurate with his pace, was keeping his own time and knew exactly where he stood coming home.

“The last 5K I knew I had a shot at the record at that point, so I was like, ‘I have to get going, I have to get moving,’” said Chaisson.

“The last kilometre was very nice because it was like a gradual downhill, so I cruised into the finish.”

(click to enlarge)

Running For Autism
Not Against It
acceptance not cure

No comments: