Monday, November 24, 2008

My "Happy Song"

This morning at 6:15, as I was dragging myself out of bed, I heard Karen announcing Alex's iRun Award on CBC Radio Island Morning. Then, because the current contest they are running is "send us your 'Happy Song' and we'll play some of them" they went back through their mail and found an email I sent last week and read it in part:

These are Days
10,000 Maniacs

Takes me back to Alex's tip to tip run. As I accompanied him on my bike, this is the song I obsessively played on my MP3 player. To me, it was the theme song of his run.
(He used some different songs to accompany the video and stills when he made the video of that run: North Country by the Rankins, Think About the Years by Haywire, Old Man by Neil Young, Against the Wind by Bob Seger and Day by Day by Doug and the Slugs.)

-jypsy


I just checked YouTube and, of course, there's a music video (and a live performance from President Clinton's Inaugural Ball). Here it is (and I still obsess on it):



Lyrics

These are the days
These are days you'll remember
Never before and never since, I promise
Will the whole world be warm as this
And as you feel it,
You'll know its true
That you are blessed and lucky
Its true that you
Are touched by something
That will grow and bloom in you

These are days that you'll remember
When May is rushing over you
With desire to be part of the miracles
You see in every hour
You'll know its true
That you are blessed and lucky
Its true that you are touched
By something that will grow and bloom in you

These are days
These are the days you might fill
With laughter until you break
These days you might feel
A shaft of light
Make its way across your face
And when you do
Then you'll know how it was meant to be
See the signs and know their meaning
It's true
Then you'll know how it was meant to be
Hear the signs and know theyre speaking
To you, to you...

Natalie's official website:
http://www.nataliemerchant.com/

10,000 Maniacs official website:
http://www.maniacs.com/


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love Natalie Merchant! A number of her songs are in my Running Rotation (playlist). My absolute favorite is Jealousy (the single version)... I think it's because of the angst that she has during the song that drive me. Congrats on the award!