Monday, October 20, 2008

Alex's First Marathon in Words

It was sun and cloud and 5 degrees at start and 8 at finish. The PEI Marathon started at Brackley Beach Complex in National Park. I was interviewed by CBC about strategies for the first marathon.

The ran first 5km in 22 minutes, the 10km in 45 minutes with the wind blow on my back and 15km in 1hr and 8 minutes. The halfway split of 1:38:43 it was 12 seconds slower than my half marathon PB in Montague.

I ran on the trail as 2004 half marathon course. I got a name on the pavement from entry path.

The 25km in 1hr and 58 minutes and 30km in under 2:30 and hitting the wall within 10km to go. The first time I've done 3 hours of running. The 35km in under 3:00 and last hills of marathon course at Peter Pan Corner and University Avenue at UPEI. At 40km mark I ran with my Mom on bike. For the last two blocks to carry the PEI flag and breaking 3:30 barrier and 5 minutes off goal of 3:35.

At 12:30 in the afternoon at Charlottetown, I Made It!

I came in 3:29:29 and 45th out of 201 runners. CBC want to talk at the finish line about my greatest run of my life. I had food and drink and massage at marathon headquarters. I feel happy at the finish. The both legs are getting cramps after the run.

Mike MacKinnion won the race and Jen Nicholson for the top female under 3:00 barrier. Stan Chassion came second and Scott Clark came third.

Keaghan Rilling won the half marathon race and Jennifer Perry for the top female.

I like to thanks to Stan Chaisson for the training and everybody who cheers me on and congratulations to all the runners and everyone who qualify to Boston.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! What an impressive achievement! Congratulations and KEEP ON RUNNING! You obviously can do anything you set your mind to!

FreddyBeachPete said...

Way to go Alex !!!

I had no doubt that you would do very well and you proved me right!!

Best wishes,

Peter

Casdok said...

Yes very impressive! Well done!

abfh said...

Yay Alex! Great job!

Club 166 said...

Excellent job, Alex!

You can be truly proud of this accomplishment. Just finishing is great, but under 3:30 rocks!

Joe