Tuesday, May 12, 2009

McGuire captures five-mile run

http://www.journalpioneer.com/index.cfm?sid=250372&sc=119

McGuire captures five-mile run

NANCY MACPHEE
The Journal Pioneer

LINKLETTER — Summerside’s Connor McGuire was the first to cross the finish line in the Clark’s Toyota Five-Mile Road Race here recently.
McGuire, who’s only been running competitively for little over a year, placed 10th in last year’s race. He posted a time this year of 27:23. Mike MacKinnon of Miscouche posted the second-best time of 28:51.
“I started out pretty quick, a bit too quick I think,” said McGuire, a 17-year-old Three Oaks Senior High School senior. “When I hit the trail . . . my pace just slowed a little bit and it was definitely tough. The gravel is hard for traction.
“I hit the dirt road and picked up the pace a bit and the last two kilometers I went pretty quick.”
McGuire was somewhat disappointed with his time.
“For a 10K, this was slow, a little bit slow to my 10K pace.”
But, he added, conditions were almost perfect.
“The wind was great on the way there and on the way back but it was definitely hot,” said McGuire. “It definitely took something out of you.”
He had a healthy lead over the next runner.
“I like when someone’s ahead of me. I like to keep up with them and keep their pace,” said McGuire. “It’s definitely tough when you’re out front because you have to set your own pace pretty much.”
Rebecca Pike of Pennsylvania, a student at UPEI, was the top female runner with a time of 34:18.
It’s the fifth year for the race, organized by local runner Scott Clark.
“This is probably the best weather we’ve had for it,” Clark said of the sunny skies, warm temperatures and light wind. “Today has been the best turnout ever.”
A total of 73 runners took part in the P.E.I. Roadrunners Club points’ race.
“There were a lot of first-timers out here today as well,” said Clark. “The distance is good that they’re not too intimidated.
“It’s five miles, which is a very doable distance. I think a lot of people enjoy the course that we have. It’s very flat. It’s off the road a bit. It’s on the Confederation Trail. It’s on the Kinsmen Road, the dirt road.”
The $10 registration fee goes to the Children’s Wish Foundation.
“I guess that was always a charity that I felt compelled to raise some money for,” added Clark. “I got involved with it with the Run 4 Wishes when they started on the Island a number of years ago.
“I figured I would try and do my little part to help the best that I can and raise what we can and create awareness.”


No comments: