Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Personal Best 7.25 Mile Dunk River Run


It was cloudy and no wind and 18 degrees. The 7 miles loop course on Dunk River and hills.

It was three personal bests in the row and I got a ribbon for 3rd in 20-29 age group. I came in 18th out 62 runners and time of 51:14.

Alex Coffin won the race and Jennifer Perry for the top female.

No pictures because mom's camera is broken and she needs a new one. [EDIT: Photo at left thanks to PEI RoadRunners. More here.]

Official Result: 18th out of 62
7.25 Miles (11.667Km) in 51 Minutes, 14 seconds
2007 Dunk River Run
2006 Dunk River Run
2005 Dunk River Run
2004 Dunk River Run


Running For Autism
Not Against It
acceptance not cure

Coffin, Perry win divisions In Dunk River Road Race
CENTRAL BEDEQUE
BY JASON SIMMONDS
The Journal Pioneer


CENTRAL BEDEQUE -- Alex Coffin of Saint John, N.B., was the overall winner of the 31st annual Dunk River Road Race on Saturday morning.

Coffin, 39, stopped the clock in 39 minutes and 22 seconds (39:22). Mike MacKinnon of Miscouche finished second overall in 40:34 and Scott Clark of Linkletter was third in 41:57.

Jennifer Perry, 31, of Tignish was the female winner. She completed the 11.6-kilometre (7.22 miles) course in 51:55, 19th overall.

See complete story in Monday’s Journal Pioneer.

http://www.journalpioneer.com/index.cfm?sid=154706&sc=119
Coffin executes game plan
31st annual dunk river road race Perry top-finishing female

CENTRAL BEDEQUE
JASON SIMMONDS
The Journal Pioneer


Alex Coffin executed his game plan to perfection Saturday morning.

Coffin, who last ran and won the 11.6-kilometre (7.22 miles) Callbeck's Home Hardware Dunk River Road Race about 15 years ago, jumped out to an early lead and never looked back en route to winning the 31st annual run in 39 minutes and 22 seconds (39:22).

"I went out really fast," said Coffin, 39, who resides in Saint John, N.B. "I ran this race a long time ago and I wanted to try and get in under 40 minutes."

Tignish resident Jennifer Perry was the top female runner with a time of 51:55.

"I didn't know the route and I was told about a couple of inclines," said the 31-year-old Perry, who finished 19th overall in the 62-runner field. "Overall, I think it was a great challenge and I really enjoyed it."

Mike MacKinnon of Miscouche finished second overall in 40:34 and Scott Clark of Linkletter was third in 41:57.

"I know a lot of the runners here and I thought if I could get a good lead on them then I could concentrate more on getting the time I wanted," explained Coffin.

It was a family affair for Coffin, whose wife, Connie, finished 28th overall in 53:41. She was the fifth-finishing female.

"The big reason I was here was my wife really wanted to do this run and she grew up in St. Nicholas," said Coffin.

Almost a minute

Perry held a 55-second advantage over Pat Ellis, who finished in 52:50, 24th overall. Jennifer Nickerson was the third-finishing female in 53:22, 25th overall.

Perry said she and two other female runners were together for about the first two miles before she moved into the lead around the three-mile mark.

"I don't like to look behind me so I don't know how long we were all together," she said with a smile.

How did Perry find the course?

"The inclines were nice and spaced out," she answered. "I found criss-crossing over the roads was a bit tricky, but other than that it is a pretty good route."

Good conditions

Coffin and Perry both agreed runners were greeted with favourable conditions.

"There was no wind; it was perfect," said Coffin.

Perry added: "Even a little bit of a drizzle would have been nice. It was really nice weather for running."

jpsports@journalpioneer.com



Course records

Dunk River Road Race course records:
Male: Matt Sheffield of Halifax, 37:42, in 2006.
Female: Janice Ashworth of Halifax, 42:57, in 2005.

No comments: